Uetikon am See
Uetikon am See
|• Total||3.49 km2 (1.35 sq mi)|
|Elevation||450 m (1,480 ft)|
|• Density||1,800/km2 (4,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (Central European Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (Central European Summer Time)|
|Surrounded by||Egg, Männedorf, Meilen, Oetwil am See, Wädenswil|
Uetikon am See is first mentioned in 1150 as Uotinchova. Until 1924 it was known as Uetikon.
Uetikon am See has an area of 3.5 km2 (1.4 sq mi). Of this area, 47.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 16.9% is forested. The rest of the land, (36%) is settled. In 1996[update] housing and buildings made up 28.9% of the total area, while transportation infrastructure made up the rest (6.9%). As of 2007[update] 41.3% of the total municipal area was undergoing some type of construction.
The municipality includes the two sections of Uetikon known as Kleindorf and Grossdorf as well as the old settlements of Langenbaum, Oberstmatt, Grüt, Rundirain and Weid. Uetikon is home to a chemical factory of the same name. Except for the chemical plant, the harbour and the train station, most of the municipality is located a bit uphill from the lake.
Uetikon am See has a population (as of 31 December 2019) of 6,201. As of 2007[update], 14.9% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. As of 2008[update] the gender distribution of the population was 48.4% male and 51.6% female. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 29.8%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (89.1%), with Italian being second most common (2.7%) and Albanian being third (1.4%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 22.2% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 61% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 16.9%. In Uetikon am See about 81.5% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). There are 2113 households in Uetikon am See.
Uetikon am See has an unemployment rate of 1.48%. As of 2005[update], there were 61 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 17 businesses involved in this sector. 415 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 47 businesses in this sector. 950 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 153 businesses in this sector. As of 2007[update] 43.3% of the working population were employed full-time, and 56.7% were employed part-time.
As of 2008[update] there were 1554 Catholics and 2466 Protestants in Uetikon am See. In the 2000 census, religion was broken down into several smaller categories. From the census[update], 51.7% were some type of Protestant, with 48.1% belonging to the Swiss Reformed Church and 3.6% belonging to other Protestant churches. 27.1% of the population were Catholic. Of the rest of the population, 0% were Muslim, 4.4% belonged to another religion (not listed), 2.7% did not give a religion, and 13.6% were atheist or agnostic.
The 931 and 932 local bus lines carry commuters to and from the train station, while the 920 and 925 bus lines provide service to and from Meilen and Stäfa.
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Uetikon am See in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 10-Aug-2009
- Statistics Zurich (in German) accessed 4 August 2009
- Kanton Zürich, Statistisches Amt: Region Pfannenstiel Archived 2009-06-16 at the Wayback Machine (in German)
- "Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit". bfs.admin.ch (in German). Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB. 31 December 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Uetikon am See.|